bev: Maryse do you hae a current tbr that you are working through? I’ve been making small ones that I can deviate from as my mood changes and then go back to. But I know some people make monthly ones which sounds fun to. I did at the beginning of the year choose 22 books out of my kindle library to read in 2022. I need to actually start them though.
Maryse: I will make one and post it… What a great idea. I DO have one (per my Kindle order of my books) but I will post it too. 🙂
bev: I saw the 22 in 22 all over YouTube and had to make one. Having the whole year to get to them seemed doable and makes a pretty collection.
Maryse: Nice theme. 22 books… I’m on it! P.S. If you want to send me yours, I’ll post it too. 🙂 We can make a new 22 theme.
Mony: love it!
And now… without further ado, here is MY current TBR list. 🙂 P.S. I actually have WAY MORE on my TBR list, it was very hard to scale it down to 22 books ’cause I have so many thrillers (especially domestic thrillers) that I want to read. But these are my MUST READS.
Maryse’s 22 in 22 (“To Be Read” list)
- It Starts with Us: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— Since I 5-star loved “It Ends with Us” (my favorite book of hers of all time, despite the fact that I have loved ALL of her books)… I just can’t wait for this one to release!!!
Shaleen: my excitement know no bounds for It starts with us, cant wait…. Also, what a list!!!
Kylo: I’ve never been more excited for a book
Melissa: I can not wait for this!!
Sue: Thank you! I preordered!
Tasha J: I finished It Ends With Us at 2am. Think I was at like 40%when I went to bed last night and read straight through to the end. I went through SO many emotions!! So many. I’m still processing, but it was rough and I loved it.
Konstantina: Hello, I just ended “It ends with us” and it really wrecked me. I have a serious book hangover and I can’t get over it. I don’t even know what kind of book I should read after that. Can’t give it less than 5/5…
- An Honest Lie by Tarryn Fisher <— YOU KNOW ME & MY LOVE FOR ALL THINGS TARRYN FISHER (especially her crazy-heroine and/or her psych-thriller books!!!) And now… I am dying to read this one! “…She’s reclusive, and secluded but now has a Vegas “Girls Weekend to attend”…”…it’s a sanctuary, a new life. She can hide from the disturbing past she wants to forget. If she’s allowed to. When Rainy reluctantly agrees to a girls’ weekend in Vegas, she’s prepared for an exhausting parade of shots and slot machines. But after a wild night, her friend Braithe doesn’t come back to the hotel room. And then Rainy gets the text message...”
Laura: I love all Tarryn Fisher books!!
Ela: WHEN WE READ THE OPPORTUNIST AND DISCOVERED TARRYN FISHER’S BRILLIANCE!
Dena: I love Tarryn Fisher and her characters…
Jenn: Tarryn Fisher she is my “crack”…
- The Fisherman Duet by Jewel E. Ann <— Everyone went crazy for this series recently so it is a MUST for me (and I already love this author anyway, so it’s a sure thing). (2 BOOKS)
Rochelle: You will not regret The Fisherman’s series. I wish I could read them again the first time.
MichelleS: I just binge read The Naked Fisherman & The Lost Fisherman. How did I miss Jewel E Ann books?
Cristina: I just finished Jewel E. Ann’s The Fisherman duet…. UTTER PERFECTION! I want to say so many wonderful things about these books, but I don’t know where to start! Maryse… buckle up! You’re going to love it! And when you finish the first, go right into the second. You absolutely must and you’ll find out why when you finish the first. The first book is wonderful, but the second one makes the first one even better! Happy reading! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it!
- The Birdsong Trilogy by Nina Lane <— Another author I love like crazy, and again, everyone that picks it up from a recommendation lets me know that it is absolutely INCREDIBLE. YES PLEASE!! P.S. I DID love her Spiral of Bliss series so this is a no-brainer!! 😀 (3 BOOKS)
MJ Fryer: If you loved her Spiral of Bliss series featuring Liv and Dean, then Nell and Darius and their forbidden love will blow you away!
Susan: I’m telling you guys this trilogy is the absolute top read for 2022. Five stars all the way. So much emotion and honestly I can’t believe the timing of these books with the war in Ukraine. A gut wrenching love story with age gap. It has literally gripped my heart
Linda: Birdsong Triology by Nina Lane that so many of you recommended was also a great read!! Very emotional read. Lump in my throat kind of read. Loved it!
- The Ravenhood Trilogy by Kate Stewart <— I’m starting to sound like a broken record here, but again… NON-STOP OMG BEST EVER recommendations, and yet again, an author I absolutely love! (3 BOOKS)
Shaleen: The Ravenhood trilogy… damn, there will never be enough words, ever, to describe the experience of it. Kate Stewart gained a fan in me after this one.
Chelsea: The Ravenhood trilogy was one of the best series I’ve ever read! You are going to LOVE them SO hard! I became a huge fan of the author after reading these. I’m making my way through her work as we speak. Keep us updated of your process 😉
Kelly: Maryse, you have to read the Ravenhood series by Kate Stewart! I know you are a fan of hers and this series is probably one of the best she has written. Try it because if not you are missing out big time! And I’m sure I’m not the only one who will agree. I’ve loved many of Kate Stewart’s books but the Ravenhood series is her best. It is on my best reads ever list for sure.
- The Parallel Series by Elizabeth O’Roark <— TIME TRAVEL incredible romance series (with two different couples) that also… a year or 2 ago – went crazy for and devoured. This has been on my TBR list for awhile and I can’t wait to get to it. (4 BOOKS)
Robyn: Maryse! I finished the first book in the Parallel Duet and can I say holy cannoli! What the heck is going on?! I’m starting the second book today, I can’t wait!
Diana: OMGosh I stayed up so late last night devouring the Parallel duet. (Note to self: don’t start new series right before bed 🙈) I loved it…
Cheryl: Ok, I just finished the Parallel duet. WOW. JUST. WOW. I have not gotten anything else done that I had planned. Such an interesting premise. I’m just trying to take it all in now.
Melinda: That Parallel duet, is so damn good. I’m just starting book 2. But I’ve only just come up for air. I can’t put it down. The story, the characters everything is captivating. Love it.
- Jennifer Hartmann <— pretty much anything and everything by this author!!! She’s a “new-to-me” find from recent recommendations and it looks like everyone that reads her, loves all of her books. I’m reading “Still Beating” and loving it (great writing and amazing feels – even the bad feels), though the beginning was hard for me to get through (prettttttty dark!!!). (AT LEAST 3 BOOKS from her backlist is up for me!!)
Lynn: Maryse, you are going to love Still Beating. I discovered Jennifer Hartmann last year when I read The Wrong Heart and loved her writing and storytelling so much that i dived straight into Still beating. She is very talented and her books have all the feels 🙂 …incredible emotional reads! If you want to experience feels and epic love stories then these two books are a must read! This is a new author to me and I am so in love with her flawless writing and storytelling.
R. Renee: I just finished The Wrong Heart by Jennifer Hartmann and loved it. She seems to be a good fit for me. Starting her Still Beating tonight, which has a kidnapping theme. I think I may like it even better!
R. Renee: Maryse are you still reading Still Beating? I started Lotus last night and I’m already hooked. I may like it even better than that one!
R. Renee: I finished Lotus over the weekend. I really liked it but Still Beating is definitely my favorite by her so far.
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens <— I’ve been dying to read this one for ages due to all the recommendations, and while I have it, it’s still just floating around my Kindle. It’s time now, especially since the movie is coming out.
Steph N: I would have given Where the Crawdads Sing 6 stars if I could. I fell in love with the book. I’m from the south and can totally see “back in the day” a young girl going through and surviving what she did.
Linda: I read Where the Crawdads Sing around Thanksgiving on your recommendation and was totally enthralled. Couldn’t read fast enough!!
Michele G: It’s a beautifully written story about survival, with a mystery, a love story and so much more thrown in.
- Project Hail Mary: A Novel by Andy Weir <— I LOST MY MIND over his book “The Martian” and simultaneously developed a crush on the main character AND the author for how clever and witty he is, and how amazing his storytelling was, so when I saw over 60,000 reviews for THIS new one (4.5 star average) you know I had to buy it. And I did. 🙂 P.S. TOTAL BLURB JOLT!!!
Maryse: Andy Weir is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED reading The Martian – one of my favorite books ever so I am dying to read Project Hail Mary!!!! …is Project Hail Mary as witty and clever as The Martian? That’s what I fell in love with, with that book. Despite how dark and scary it was, it had me laughing too.
Jan: Me too. I’m keen to read Project Hail Mary too. The blurb sounds good and I loved The Martian too – book and film.
Tasha J: It reads super fast, sucks you into the story totally. It reminds me of things too. Like super reminiscent of a book we read, kind of, like a mix of books, but I can’t say which bc I don’t want to spoil it. And I feel like a mix of things I’ve seen in the media over the years. Gah, I wanna say it! Read it so I can say you see it too right?
Sharing a quote from Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson cuz it’s fall and all-
“ I feel like fall. I am a heap of dead leaves, blackened, moist, reeking of mold. Rotting apples, dying grass, early darkness chasing away the sun.”
Maryse: GASP TASHA!!!! I’m adding Grown (I LOVED Allegedly!!!)
- Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel <— Domestic psych-thriller featuring a mother with a serious psychological disorder, and her daughter that had to suffer the consequences. I’ve not had any recommendations for it, but I had a total blurb jolt and knew it had to be mine!! I LOVE this kind of stuff.
Tasha J: I’ve been wanting to read Darling Rose Gold.
Nay: Tasha–I also want to read Darling Rose Gold. I get it from the library in only 17 weeks! 😂
- My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell <— THIS ONE MAKES ME NERVOUS!! Student/teacher and all the repercussions… but the reviews are amazing and I know it will be crazy, and likely unputdownable (all with an “ick” factor”)
Ela: MARYSE! YOU MUST READ MY DARK VANESSA!!!!!!!!!!!! The beginning drags a little… once you get to about 27% you should be good! Also, it’s based on a true story!!!!!!!!!!
R. Renee: I just got My Dark Vanessa from my library and wow, the writing is fantastic. Several of my friends read it recently and had mixed reviews based on the subject matter, but I’m hooked just based on the author’s talent. I’m not that far in though and may run screaming when the plot gets going! 😆
Michele G: R., the audio for My Dark Vanessa was very good also!
MichelleS: I read My Dark Vanessa – ick
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia <— I can’t quite get a feel for it by the blurb (other than somewhat of a thriller and maybe even terrifying by what Tasha says???) but the recommendations are there and then Tasha J’s not so recommendation (she was grossed out at one point) had me even more intrigued. ! So I one-clicked it and I’m gonna try it. 😀
Tasha J: I finished Mexican Gothic, FINALLY!!! Sorry I left you hanging for so long. I wasn’t sure what to think, to be honest anymore once I got to about halfway. I wanted to finish just to accomplish reading what I set out to read, not because it had me in its grips and I couldn’t wait to see what happened next.
I was intruigued and curious as to how so many people ❤️d the book and how it truly terrified them. But, it was so slow going. Not boring, per se, just different. But boy, once I got past that halfway mark, when things really start picking up, I was disgusted. Truly grossed out. I couldn’t even snack while I read. 🙁 I can totally envision how they’re gonna put this on screen though, and I bet it’ll be awesome.
Not sure what to rate it, as it didn’t blow me away, but maybe if I’d have read it all together, it would’ve been sweeter, bridging over to the 2nd half.
- American Dirt: A Novel by Jeanine Cummins <— Over 60,000 reviews and 4.5 star rating and was the subject of serious controversy not too long ago, and someone told me I shouldn’t read it (for specific reasons). And I held off. But… listen. I REALLY WANT TO. Total blurb jolt and this sounds like a crazy, exciting and scary story! Totally my thing. So I want to read it. That’s all.
Tasha J: Omg American Dirt sounds SO GOOD! Major blurb jolt on that one.
I bought American Dirt a little bit ago after I read an article about the publisher canceling the author’s book tour bc she’s getting death threats. I’ve vaguely read some of the controversy, but I’m not judging anything until I read it myself. And even then, I’m the most non confrontational person, I can’t see myself caring about dynamics as opposed to the feelings a story provokes.
Christina: I just finished American Dirt. I didn’t think I would like it but ended up loving it.
- Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate <— HAS BEEN ON MY TBR LIST for far too long and I don’t know why I haven’t just dug in. I KNOW I’ll love it.
Michele G: Before We Were Yours was excellent! …It was a really good book and a little different from what we all read most of the time.
Tasha J: Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate- 5+++ stars for me. This one’s my favorite for 2017, hands down. I’ve never read Lisa Wingate before, but I’ll definitely be looking into more of her work. For ME (my opinion) it was as good as The Nightingale.
COMPLETELY different stories, but all the feels were there for me. Historical fiction, though I’d never heard of the Tenn. Children’s Home Society scandal before. And such beautiful writing! Rill and her family will forever be in my heart, *sniff* they really came alive for me.
I really loved reading all the past parts, the way they spoke, everything’s descriptions, felt so alive and real. And then I also enjoyed the present because, man I needed a break from all the rough stuff and the mystery, some part of it probably only for me (drrr) had me puzzled until the near end. Gosh I feel all full of emotion, it’s so heartbreaking. I even had to stretch this sucker out forever it seemed, though I didnt want to, and it was still fresh and raw every time I jumped back in.
- The Summer Proposal by Vi Keeland <— HOCKEY STAR GIVE HER A TICKET TO THE GAME (but she doesn’t realize he’s one of the players until she gets there!!) Ummm… yeah. Considering I just went to a Tampa Bay Lightening game and was only a few rows back from the glass… like HOLY MOLY!!! I wanna read this one so bad!! BLURB JOLT!!
Lisa M: I just finished the Summer Proposal by Vi Keeland. It was so good. Highly recommend.
Loved everyone of her books. So well written. Swoony & all!! 😍
- All Rhodes Lead Here by Mariana Zapata <— ONE OF MY FAV AUTHORS & she’s starting over in a small town and checking out her landlord. 😉 I love “neighbor romances” especially the grumpy ones, and I have a feeling, knowing Mariana’s Heroes, that he will definitely be one of those!
Rochelle: I just finished all Rhodes Lead here by Mariana Zapata. It had a slow start but the slow burn was great. All her writing is excellent. I love how she ties spots or outdoors into her stories. Never go wrong with Mariana.
Sandi: I loved All Rhodes Lead Here!
Melinda: I read All Rhodes lead here. Loved it Amazing 5 stars for me. Mariana Zapata builds the characters and you feel that deep connection with them, you feel their pain, happiness and building of relationships. It’s as if the characters become family.
Janie: I’m reading my first Mariana Zapata book this weekend. It’s called All Rhodes Lead Here. I’m 11% in and so far, so good!
- The Last Flight: A Novel by Julie Clark <— DOMESTIC PSYCH-THRILLER!! Abused wife of a wealthy husband finds a way to escape by switching plane tickets with another lady… oooooooh!!! I WANNA READ IT! “…Claire has worked for months on a plan to vanish. A plan that takes her to the airport, poised to run from it all. But a chance meeting in the airport bar brings her together with a woman whose circumstances seem equally dire. Together they make a last-minute decision. The two women switch tickets, with Claire taking Eva’s flight to Oakland, and Eva traveling to Puerto Rico as Claire. They believe the swap will give each of them the head start they need to begin again somewhere far away. But when the flight to Puerto Rico crashes, Claire realizes it’s no longer a head start but a new life…” BLURB JOLT!!!!
Maryse: OMG I AM DYING to read The Last Flight!!! That is the ultimate blurb jolt and I can’t imagine where it even goes, but I bet it’s exciting!!
Kathy: I have been eyeing The Last Flight and definitely think I will try that one
JR: The Last Flight by Julie Clark. Not a romance but a thriller that kept me guessing until the end. I recommend…
Steph N: This kept me intrigued and the ending shook me. I still think about it and I’m one of those that forgets books I have read easily.
- Float Plan by Trish Doller <— OKAY THIS SOUNDS LIKE TOOOO MUCH FUN!!! I wanna read it, and I keep hearing about how good it is. I think this will be a nice pallet cleanser between two psych-books.
Kathy: …Loved The Float Plan! Thanks for posting! That is on my best of 2021 too!!
Mony: I also loved this one! It’s one of my top four contemporary romances in 2021. …FP was still a top read. Loved all the place mentioned from Florida through Bahamas and the more southern islands e.g. Turks and Caicos (learned so much).
R. Renee: Float Plan is swoony!
Michele G: The Float Plan! I loved that one too! I was hesitant going in, but it really snuck up on me. Such a wonderful book….
- The Moonlight Child by Karen McQuestion <— SCARY BOOK ALERT & HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by one of our fellow readers and it has over 21,000 reviews averaging 4.5 stars!! HOLY MOLY AGAIN! Okay so I started it, but I’m not far into it, but I KNOW I’m finishing it, and considering the reviews, I know I’m gonna freak out over it. YAY ME!!
Shirley: Maryse, you need to read/listen to The Moonlight Child by Karen McQuestion. Highly recommend! I couldn’t stop listening!
Maryse: Okay I just saw it and that is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY!!!!!!! Thank you, Shirley!!! Psych-thriller here I come!!
➔➔➔ Looking for more of our favorite recommendations? Browse our “Ultimate Favorites Lists” here. Are you in the mood for a certain kind of story? Browse our favorite “genre/trope categories” here and our reader favorites lists too.